By Rose Diaz
Editor’s note: Have you heard? Feeling Groovy Wellness now offers a full range of waxing services! Learn more about our groovy new services and download the menu here.
Some people know what it’s like to go to a waxing appointment, but for first time clients or people who haven’t been to a waxing appointment in a while, here are some tips to prepare.
1. Consult with me, your esthetician.
Because waxing can be personal, it’s best to get to know who your esthetician is, and to know if they care about your concerns.
I am available to discuss your skin care needs. For waxing, I encourage our clients to mention their anxieties, concerns, or skin issues like allergies or sensitivities. At Feeling Groovy, we have a selection of waxes, so I can select the best wax for your skin type and needs. As a Holistic Esthetician, I’m concerned about the overall health of your skin, more so than you’d find at a casual walk-in waxing salon.
If you have allergies, I’m happy to do a patch test for you before you book an appointment. A patch test is basically a dab of the product or products that will be used on your body, placed on the inner side of your arm where your elbow bends. Ideally it should be left on for 24 hours to see if there will be a reaction. You will know if your skin is too sensitive for the product by your skin’s reaction to it.
2. Hair length is important.
Ideally, body hair that is going to be waxed off should be 1/4 inch long. Everyone’s hair grows differently, so a waxing appointment should be made with that in mind.
Facial hair is different. Fine, peach fuzzy, type hair can be removed easily while it is shorter, but if you shave your facial fuzzies, please wait a couple of days before coming in to get waxed, or the wax will not be able to adhere to the hair, and we will spend much more time annoyingly plucking individual hairs.
3. Avoid waxing when your skin is sensitive.
For men or women who sunbathe, it is advisable to book a waxing appointment after stinging or discomfort of sun exposure subsides. And for women with active menstrual cycles, it is best to make appointments two weeks before or one week after their menstruation. (Our threshold for pain is low as we get closer to our cycles.)
4. Time your waxing appointments before special events.
Make your waxing appointments at least one to two weeks prior to an event. Sometimes you will have redness, or bruising. It’s best to schedule first time waxings many weeks ahead to see what the experience will be like.
5. Stop using exfoliating products.
Creams like Retin A or other exfoliating products, like alpha hydroxy acids, can make your skin peel off when being waxed, causing irritation. You don’t want to leave your waxing appointment with little raw areas. So, stop using exfoliating products like these on your skin, face or body 1 to 2 weeks before your appointment.
* * *
A Day to a Week Before your Appointment
- Check for irritations, sunburn, or breakouts.
- Please do not tan.
- Scrub down. Lightly use a wash cloth or loofah in the shower to gently slough off dead skin cells.
- Moisturize your skin.After you exfoliate, apply a moisturizer to your skin. Hydrated skin is healthy skin. The healthier your skin is, the better your waxing job will turn out.
* * *
The Day of Your Appointment
- Hygiene is key. Please be well showered or bathed. The day of the appointment, it is pertinent to be clean. In the case of Bikini or Brazilian waxing, wipes will be offered in the restroom, but those are available to freshen up.
- Have some CBD.Not everyone will need this, but for those folks who know they need extra relief from discomfort and anxiety, like that experienced during waxing, (especially a first time waxing) then it’s suggested to have a CBD shot, or the over the counter pain reliever of their choice, before their appointment to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing to the appointment.For women, maxi dresses are the best for a waxing appointment. Although clients will be provided a robe at the center to wear during waxing, afterwards, the best clothing to wear is loose clothing.
If you have any concerns at all before or during your waxing appointment, please let me know. No question is too weird or embarrassing. I’m here to help you take care of and love your skin from the inside out.
To book your waxing appointment, please call us at 909-480-1711.
Rose Diaz is the Holistic Esthetician at Feeling Groovy Wellness Center. She’s a licensed esthetician and a trained medical esthetician. She has studied at Dr. Murad’s University of Inclusive Health, and she’s super passionate about holistic ways to healthy, glowing skin for life!